Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Ten Faces of Innovation

I don't read business/management/self-help books. Not because I don't need to, but because I'm not that interested in those types of books. So when I saw an ad for Tom Kelly's book, The Ten Faces of Innovation, I was prepared to pass it by. However as I read the list of "faces" from the ad and I became a little more intrigued. The listed faces were;

The Anthropologist - Observes real-world customer behavior
The Experimenter - Devises troubleshooting prototypes
The Cross-Pollinator - Combines the best ideas from industries
The Hurdlers - Leaps past the usual red tape
The Collaborator - Helps eclectic groups work together
The Director - Assembles the best personnel
The Experience Architect - Transforms mundane experiences into events
The Set Designer - Creates invigorating work environments
The Caregiver - Delivers impeccable customer care
The Storyteller - Turns your company's story into a legend

I'm not familiar with Tom Kelley's work. I can only guess at how he sees these different roles playing out in the workplace. I doubt that I'll ever get around to reading his book. What I'm reflecting on is how I may have seen these roles played out in my work experience and if I've been one of them. Beyond that I wonder how these roles would apply to life in general, or in other organizations such as a church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home