Thursday, May 18, 2006

emergie sympathizer

I suppose this comes as a confession of sorts. For the past couple of years I have been following the emerging church conversation. Through the various web sites and web logs. I have found the discussion fascinating.

Earlier this week I read an interesting exchange which was posted on the Generous Orthodoxy Think Tank under the heading of, Emergent Reflection Post-Divergent . Here James K. A. Smith makes few observations on the recent Divergent conference. He concludes by asking if "emergent can be catholic," if so, "then it needs to jettison its still-modern liberalism, skepticism, and anti-intellectualism." Naturally, this statement opened the door to a good round of responses.

But the part I liked best is about half way into the comments Smith says that while his "post might sound largely critical, in fact it comes from a pretty deep sympathy with what the 'emergent' folks are about-".

I felt like that pretty well summarized my position as well.

So that's my confession. I'm an emergie sympathizer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home